The Amazon Echo is a smart speaker developed by Amazon.com. This gadget helps in creating a smarter home. This device is capable of voice interaction, music playback, creating to-do lists, setting up alarms, streaming podcasts, playing audiobooks, ordering food, summoning an Uber and providing traffic and weather updates.
Specs and Price
The device is a 9.25-in tall cylinder with a seven-piece mic array. The device responds if it is called by the name “Alexa” which can be changed to either “Amazon” or “Echo”. The microphone can also be turned off if you don’t want Alexa listening in to your conversations.
Alexa can also learn things from you. The more questions asked, the smarter the device becomes.
If you have a thick regional accent, you can train Alexa so that she can understand you better. Head to the Alexa app, hit the menu and select Settings. Choose Voice Training to go through 25 phrases that will help Alexa.
The Amazon Echo costs $179.99.
How to Get Started
There are three steps to get the Amazon Echo going. First, charge the device. Second, turn it on and set up the WiFi connection by installing the Alexa app on your phone. Third, open the app and watch the walk through on how to configure the device.
Here is a step by step process provided by Trusted Reviews if you still have no clue as to how to set the Amazon Echo up:
- After plugging in the Echo, the LED ring around the top of the device turn blue then orange. Alexa will greet you.
- Download the Alexa app for iOS, Android or Fire. Set up via your web browser here.
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Use the app/browser to connect the Echo to your Wi-Fi network.
- In the Alexa app, head to Settings and select Set Up A New Device.
- Press the Action Button on top of the Echo (the one with the dot) for five seconds.
- A list of the available Wi-Fi networks will appear within the app.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter the network password.
- After that, a confirmation message within the app will appear.
An additional tip is to activate your favorite apps and streaming services you use like Uber and Bartender so that you can get Alexa to get a cab for you or mix a drink for you respectively. You can also connect your smart home gadgets to this device.
That’s it, and you can now enjoy your new home device!