Super Mario Run is the brand new portable and first Mario game for iOS devices. Players can choose to play as Mario and as more characters as desired. The game features five unlockable characters. Here is a guide to unlocking Toad, Luigi, Yoshi, Toadette and Peach.
Unlock Toad from the start of the game. It is not necessary to beat specific levels or collect a certain number of coins first.
Unlock Toad by linking the Nintendo account to the app. Set up a Nintendo account at the official Nintendo website. This requires only an email address and happens at the very start of the game. Do this also by hitting the bubble in the top right corner of the screen while in the main menu (above the gift box).
According to Heavy, from there, do the following:
- The game will go to a Safari web page that pulls up the Nintendo website. Hit “Link to Nintendo Account”.
- Enter the username and password of the Nintendo account.
- Once logged in, hit “use this account”.
- A screen should pop up saying “User data retrieved from the linked Nintendo Account”. Hit “OK.”
When the account has been linked, follow these steps to start playing as Toad:
- Go back to the main menu.
- Hit the “My Nintendo” bubble on the top right of the screen.
- The first thing under the “rewards” tab is Toad. Tap him.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select the “redeem” button.
- Go back to the main menu and hit the gift box.
- A menu should pop up showing that Toad is in the gift box. Hit “receive all.”
- Hit “OK” once a popup telling that Toad can now be played appears.
Unlock Luigi, Yoshi and Toadette
Unlock Luigi, Yoshi and Toadette by purchasing items in Kingdom Builder.
Follow these steps by Heavy in unlocking these three characters:
- Play at least one round of Toad Rally. This is a race against an opponent where the most coins are obtained and the most stylish moves possible are performed. At the end of one round, Toads will be received as a reward.
- Kingdom Builder mode will now be opened. This essentially allows the buying of items such as decorations, using of coins and Toads, which can be placed on the main menu screen.
- Now, to unlock Luigi, Yoshi and Toadette, buy their respective houses. Do this in the “special tab” purchased by using the Toads that were unlocked in Toad Rally. Keep playing Toad Rally to earn more coins!
The Toads earned from Toad Rally come in four colors: red, blue, green, purple and yellow. The houses belonging to the unlockable characters all require a very specific number of the colored Toads. Check this in the Toad inventory at any time by hitting the Toad tab on the top center of the screen. The following are the respective equivalents for the characters’ houses:
- Luigi’s house=150 green Toads and 150 purple Toads
- Yoshi’s house=30 red Toads and 30 yellow Toads
- Toadette’s house=200 red Toads, 200 blue Toads, and 200 green Toads.
Unlock Peach by finishing all 24 World Tour levels and 6 Worlds. Rescue Peach from Browser’s clutches at the end of the game first. Peach has the ability to slowly hover down to the ground after jumping and can make her way across large gaps and guiding the fall picking up as many coins as possible.
World Tour mode is short considering the game’s price tag of $9.99 and can be finished within a few hours at most.
To actually play these characters, head into Tour and select a world. Hit the little bubble on the bottom right of the screen shows Mario running. A menu will pop up showing all of the unlockable characters. Hit the desired character’s bubble to play as him or her. Then, select OK.
Adjust the character choice based on the level of the challenges at hand, whether they involve deadly fire flowers or tricky jumps.
Super Mario Run is now available for iOS devices. Nintendo will release it on Android devices sometime in 2017.